A shampoo that needs no water based cleansing.
A shampoo that gives instant on-the-go results.
A shampoo that saves your time on a hectic day.
A shampoo that can be your friend on surprise dates. That shampoo is a dry shampoo!
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/34B9w3P
Drugstore dry shampoos are more affordable and easily available.
Few spritz on the roots, some on your hair shaft and some on the tips or, spraying dry shampoo before styling your hair, braids, bun and more – this is what a dry shampoo essentially does. It is a shampoo which can be used anywhere and anytime.
We have curated a list after a thorough review of the ten most popular and hence, beneficial drugstore dry shampoos.
What is a drugstore dry shampoo?
Drugstore dry shampoos are those that are locally available. You can lay your hands on them in any nearby drugstore. Some dry shampoos like Batiste have been around for nearly thirty years.
They are affordable and within everyone’s reach. There are many options. They come in a plethora of different fragrances.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3jH1GMy
How is a drugstore dry shampoo different from a branded dry shampoo?
The ingredients used in a drugstore dry shampoo and a branded one, is nearly the same. Some are of the opinion that the quality of ingredients used in a drugstore dry shampoo are at par as those in a branded one. But, they believe that the proportions of the ingredients are far less.
Some even say that the ingredients used are of low quality. Yet again, there are individuals who side with drugstore dry shampoos being an affordable good quality dry shampoo.
These shampoos come under a variety of options and with different fragrances. For example, vanilla and chocolate fragrance.
6 things to keep in mind before purchasing your dry shampoo from drugstores
1. Understand your hair type
It helps to know whether your hair is too oily, too dry or a combination of both. Why I say so is because any dry shampoo, when used excessively can reduce moisture and severely dry your hair.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3loOSei
So, if you have very dry hair, you have to be cautious about your shampoo choice.. For example, I have very greasy scalp and therefore, I buy those drugstore shampoos which make the hair drier.
2. Colored hair game
Light tinted dry shampoo is not a good choice, if you have dark colored hair. Dry shampoo, of any brand or store, will leave a whitish residue after application. If you have dark coloured hair, using a light tint dry shampoo can make the hair look chalky and blurry. And nobody wants that! So search for the best drugstore shampoo for dark hair.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3d6SS05
And, for light hair beauties, a light tinted one is the one of the best drugstore dry shampoos.
I wish I had known that before. Several years ago when my mother had colored her hair, we didn’t know which dry shampoo to use. Because we didn’t realise that hair color could be a choice before making that purchase decision. The result was a lot of trial and error.
Do you know?
There are drugstore dry shampoos that are made with an invisible formula too.
3. Labels are important
Just like any other product irrespective of brand, always read the product’s label well, before making the purchase. Understand what it offers you – whether it is the best dry shampoo for dark hair or for fine hair! Understand what it is made of – all the constituents and their respective proportions. Check if you have any allergies to any of the mentioned ingredients in the product.
This will help you understand what works well for you and ensure great results.
4. Spritz first to smell
Drugstore dry shampoos come in an array of different fragrances. Like I mentioned above, there is chocolate, vanilla fragrance etc.
But, before billing, ask for a tester (if the store has one) and spritz a little (not on your hair) and see if you like the smell. Oftentimes, even if you like the vanilla scent, you may not like its intensity (too much fragrance).
5. Aerosol spray and/or powdered dry shampoo
Some hair types are more suitable for powder dry shampoo. Some hairstyles are more effectively built, if you use the spray form of dry shampoo. Know what you want. Know what you need.
For some, the aerosol spray is more convenient. On the other hand, some swear by the benefits of powder dry shampoo.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/310yJEb
You need to decide what works best for your hair and then make the purchase.
6. Try it and test it! Always.
Drugstore dry shampoo is affordable. You can stock them up without hurting the bank.. If you have a liking for different types, based on smell and texture, you can buy a few first. Try one each time and then decide which one you want to buy more of..
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2FbuVbp
Our 2020 review of the best of the best, 10 drugstore dry shampoos
Mainly targets excessive hair scalp impurities such as extra oil, excess greasiness and dirt. It instantly gives clean and fresh hair. This shampoo has a waterless formula and is vegan friendly. It also adds extra lift in hair roots, gives extra volume and added hair texture. The smell is subtle and pleasant. It comes with a fragrance variety for different moods such as powder, lavender and a mix of mush.
- It sprays well and evenly, unlike thin stream sprayers
- It blends very well
- It absorbs any unwanted and unpleasant smell from hair
- Low cost
- It doesn’t destroy hair’s natural shine and texture
- You can comb as needed after applying the dry shampoo
- It gives great results in the morning when used overnight
- It has a light and airy smell which is not overwhelming
- Even after using straight for seven to eight days, the hair looks washed and clean
- It does not weigh on your hair
- It does not make your hair feel static, sticky or stiff
- Masks greasiness very effectively
- Delivers good results for dark colored hair and blonde hair
- Delivers good results for finer hair and hair that tends to get oily in short time
- Suits almost all kinds of hair
- Dries up pretty quickly
- It needs a lot more spray for total oil and dirt absorbency
- Leaves a thin and pale whitish residue, that goes away only after brushing or combing hair
2. Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo for all hair types
It leaves no residue. It absorbs all the excess oily substance and neutralizes the remaining odor. It comes with a linen fragrance. It gives you fresh voluminous hair and is convenient for all hair types.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/33D04O8
- For extremely oily scalp,an overnight use of this can achieve great results
- When used everyday, it gives lasting results for five straight days, without wash
- It removes the greasy gym sweat from hair when applied
- Doesn’t make hair look too limpy
- It doesn’t have a lingering aroma
- It doesn’t clump your hair or make it look clay-like
- It gives softer and cleaner hair
- Has an over-the-top baby powder smell
- For very dark hair, leaves whitish residue that looks like dandruff
Ideally for fine or flat hair. Specially, for flat hair that tends to become oily and weighed down between washes. It absorbs excess oil and impurities. Gives your hair much needed volume and bounce. It has a scent of sweet lime and coconut.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3dbhKn6
- Very cheap
- It doesn’t coat the hair much
- It doesn’t leave any heavy residue
- Adds volume and bounce
- Works great when applied overnight as it lessens any greasiness in morning
- Direct spray helps to avoid any residue all over the work area/in the room
- Doesn’t make hair too dry
- This is a cheaper alternative to Amika dry shampoo
- Hair roots may appear sticky
- Very strong smell
- May add a light texture
- Tends to leave a light flaky white residue which goes away after vigorous combing and brushing
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3d6z0tZ
It is free from dyes, sulphates and any parabens protecting your hair from damage from chemicals of any sort. Essentially formulated for sensitive hair scalp and soft textured hair. It refreshes your hair gently and adds volume. Made with rose water and chamomile, the fragrance is likewise.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/34xnxQk
- Safe to use on colored hair
- Applicable on all kinds of hair
- Smell is good
- Gives super light and soft hair
- Hair doesn’t feel weighted and gritty
- It doesn’t over dry your hair
- Easy to spray
- Not very effective on sensitive skin or those who have a tendency towards eczema
- The need for a hair wash can be extended by one day
- May leave a good amount of residue which makes hair look dirty
- Hair may appear greasy on roots and give very flat looking hair ends
- May not last till the end of day and hair may appear lumpy, for those who have extra greasy hair
It is a moroccanoil dry shampoo as it is made with the argan oil of Morocco. A renewed formula that helps to revitalize hairstyles and silky hair strands. It adds texture to your hair, freshens it with aromatic fragrance.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3nsOQ6V
- Smells great
- Works well on coarse hair that has a drier texture
- Hair looks clean and feels clean
- It doesn’t take away hair shine
- Not suitable for thin and silky hair
- Not suitable for very oily hair
- It may aggravate dandruff issues if you’re already facing one!
- It may leave a little bit of white residue
It claims to be a 100% organically made dry shampoo that does away with drained and frizzy hair. It gives long and healthy wavy locks, as per your hairstyle. It is a powder spray that absorbs all scalo impurities and gives cleaner and lightweight hair. The essential oils in this dry shampoo makes your hair smell sweet and fresh. It is specially formulated for dark hair and brunette beauties.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3d5Fzgk
- No chemicals and fillers used
- Glute sulphate and paraben free
- Easy to use
- Hair feels lightweight and soft
- Works productively on very oily scalp
- It works fruitfully with little application
- It gives the hair roots and hair body little lift but not as voluminous results as others
- It can be difficult to dispense well, thus, may leave white residue spots
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3daIsMT
This dry shampoo is talc free and a dry cleanser for hair. It is made with natural rice starch. It absorbs oil, adds volume and leaves hair refreshed. It doesn’t leave any white residue on hair and scalp. It also won an award at Beauty Launchpad’s Readers Choice Awards, 2017.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/36GA4mX
- Cools the scalp
- Natural deodorizer
- Safe to use on – keratin treated, colored hair and brazilian treated hair
- Detangles hair
- Works profoundly on fine and thin hair type
- The smell does not linger on for long
- Scalp won’t have any residue. Any bit that stays will go away easily with brushing or combing the hair
- Scalp won’t have any itchiness
- Difficulty in spraying easily as the spray button has to be pushed downwards
- Bit pricier than the others
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/34GJtbQ
This dry shampoo is paraben and sulphate free. It is easy to carry and contains wild mint, tapioca and pro vitamin B5. It works on all types of hair but is more effective on hair in-between washes. It is very gentle and to be used everyday. It is scented with wild mint and melon.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2GJumpy
- Tapioca and pro vitamin B5 removes unwanted oil from hair and makes it clean
- Strong fragrance
- It doesn’t leave dirty residue
- May cause allergic reaction, like burning sensation on scalp
- Not recommended for a very oily and sweaty scalp
- Oil absorption power is lower than other shampoos in this review
- Brunette hair individuals have experienced few marks and spots of white residue upon usage
- It doesn’t add volume to the hairline
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3lgKqhA
It is a natural dry texturizing dry shampoo. It comes in a spray bottle. It fights oil and cleanses your hair gently. It is suitable for coloured hair. The shampoo gives your hair a touchable texture and volume. It is especially great on light or dark hair.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2GzjOti
- Makes the hair blowout last long
- Argan oil provides the hair with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- It makes hair shiny
- Gives your hair nourishment
- Free of any paraben and sulphate
- It gives fresh, revitalized and healthy hair
- Hair doesn’t feel brittle
- It works fruitfully on fine and thin hair
- It works effectively on oily hair
- The smell is good
- It is expensive
- It doesn’t stay effective for very long hours
- Stains painted nails
- May cause itchiness on sensitive skin
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2GrJIPV
It is made from citrus and mineral clay. It revitalizes very fine and limp-like hair by removing dirt, excess oil and other impurities. It seeks to rejuvenate the hair and eliminate any odor. The shampoo absorbs oil and odor from your hair, in-between hair washes. Thus, making your hair clean and easy to manage.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3d9QXrq
- No visible residue or white streaks on hair
- It feels weightless on hair
- Flowy and easy hair movement
- Works great on oily and fine hair
- Pretty handy and travel friendly
- The results are hardly noticeable
- Very short timed volume effect. It may last you for a maximum of an hour or so!
- The oil absorption is very minimum
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3jIGXYF
Let’s say, if we were to choose only one, then it would be the Batiste dry shampoo, original. It is admired by many and some are even obsessed with it.
It ranks well on all parameters and comes at a reasonable price. It has all the ingredients of a successful dry shampoo. In this price segment, the cons of Batiste dry shampoo are far outweighed by the enormous positives.
It isn’t like alternatives aren’t there but what is important is to see if their advantages outweigh their disadvantages. Some leave residue on hair that needs vigorous brushing and combing while others have an overpowering smell. Our chosen shampoo – Batiste dry shampoo is favoured by a majority of people. You can always go ahead and try the others! Some are cheap and some very expensive.
This is our opinion!
Until and unless you try, you won’t know. Go ahead, try the shampoo and come back here and share your experience with us. We are all ears.