An eye look seems incomplete without using an eyeliner. Can you imagine painting your eyes with the desired colors and not defining them with eyeliner? No right?
There was a time when people opted only for black liners. However, now trends have taken a different turn; now you name a color in the spectrum and you’ll get an eyeliner in that color. Most people nowadays look for smudge proof eyeliner.
If you’re looking for something like that, you better get your hands on gel eyeliners. We have tried and tested various eyeliners that are available in gel forms. Here are our top five gel eyeliners that are available in both, pot and pencil forms.
What benefits can you avail from gel eyeliners?
Only a few years back, eyeliner meant liquid liners. We used to dip the eyeliner wand in a pot of black liquid and create strokes to define our eyes. When it came to defining our lash-line, kohl or Kajal has been in use for centuries now.
However, the invention of gel eyeliners has changed the eyeliner game. Especially for that sect of population who are eyelineroholic (if it’s a word at all!!). Well, they have found their holy grails indeed!
If you have been using liquid eyeliners for a long time, it’s the best time to switch to gel liners. If you’re a beginner, start your eyeliner journey with a gel based eyeliner than a liquid one.
The advantages of using a gel eyeliner are –
- It is easier to work with in comparison to liquid liners
- It has a creamy consistency
- Glides smoothly with the help of an eyeliner brush
- It takes time to set because of its creamy texture. But once it does, there’s no budging
- The creamy texture of the eyeliner makes it perfect for creating smokey eyes
- You can use gel eyeliner as eyeshadow base
- Most of the gel eyeliners have safe application in the waterline
- Unlike liquid liners, gel eyeliners have matte finish (apart from those which have shimmer particles)
- Long lasting even on oily eyelids
- Smudge proof and waterproof
Do you want even more advantages?
Well, when you choose the right gel liner, you’ll see how extremely pigmented they are! And that brings us to the next question.
How to choose the best gel eyeliner?
We are sorry to say that there is no one particular way that will work for you. It is more of a trial and error method. And that’s where we intervene! Tadaaa!
We have tried and reviewed many gel eyeliners for you and have jotted down the best five that you need to give a shot. However, if it’s extremely necessary for you to make your own purchase decision, you can try out a couple of things.
We recommend researching and getting yourself familiar with the names of various gel eyeliners. When you have gathered a decent knowledge about the brands available, you can check out a couple of reviews on those products.
Reviews will help you in understanding the shade better as reviewers normally share swatches. Besides, it will also tell you whether the eyeliner works as you want it to, whether it is a smudge proof eyeliner, etc. You will be amazed to know that a majority of YouTube users who check out reviews before making a purchase decision.
How to differentiate gel liners from other forms of eyeliners?
There are different types of eyeliners – liquid eyeliners are the oldest, pencil eyeliners have a variety of colors to choose from, then there are cake liners, gel or cream eyeliners.
The question here is, how will you differentiate the gel liners from so many others but trust us, it is as easy as ABC!
Gel eyeliners come in pots, which are either acrylic pots or glass pots. Generally, the pots are secured with a screw cap that is made of plastic or aluminum. While some companies provide an applicator with the eyeliner, some don’t. Gel eyeliners come in many colors and shades (you’ll find different shades of black too!).
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2ISIrPC
The texture of the gel eyeliner is neither liquid nor as stiff as an eyeliner pencil. It is creamy like a lip balm.
Nevertheless, there are some companies that offer gel eyeliners in an eyeliner pencil form. These are a bit tricky to understand. Most brands that offer pencil gel eyeliner will have the word ‘gel eyeliner’ mentioned in the name of the product.
What is the best way to apply your favourite gel eyeliner?
If you are novice in using gel eyeliners, it is suggested that you start with a pencil form gel eyeliner. Because they are as long-lasting as the pot ones and are much easier to maneuver.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2MJkECN
If you want to proceed with the gel eyeliners that come in pots, you need to follow a few steps. Foremost, we suggest you not to hurry with it! You can go for the gel eyeliner that comes with it’s own brush or you can purchase an eyeliner brush.
The steps –
- Take a small amount of liner on your brush.
- Remove the excess eyeliner to avoid a clumpy look.
- Now, imagine that your lower lash-line is extending upwards.
- Create a thin line along the imaginary lash-line. Don’t go too high!
- This becomes your small wing.
- Create a few dots along the upper lash-line.
- Connect these dots to create a perfect line.
- If you try to create a single line in one go, you may end up creating a crooked line.
For a better understanding, take a look at the video to get a good grasp over it.
Are there any disadvantages of using gel eyeliner?
Of course, there are. Everything has its pros and cons and so does gel eyeliners.
Penning down the disadvantages of using gel based eyeliners that you would want to take a look at –
- Pencil gel eyeliner may not be as creamy. So, it may tug on your skin
- You may need to apply the eyeliner pencil twice or thrice, so as to get the intense color pay off
- In case of gel eyeliner pot, you always need an eyeliner brush applicator
- Gel eyeliner can dry over time
Are there any precautions that you need to take when you’re using gel eyeliner?
It is always advised that you follow good hygiene when applying your eyeliner. Here are a few steps that you should take, to avoid any kind of eye irritation or damage –
- Use a makeup spatula or the eyeliner brush to scoop out a small amount of eyeliner.
- Either use the spatula or the back of your hand as a palette.
- Don’t dip the eyeliner brush in the pot after every stroke because that will contaminate the gel eyeliner.
- Clean the applicator regularly (once every week).
- Don’t use an eyeliner if you have any eye infection. No matter how safe the ingredients are, it is best to not irritate your eyes further.
- Don’t apply eyeliner if you are in a moving vehicle. It can cause serious damage to your eyes.
- If you’re using eyeliner pencil, the tip will become dry with use. Therefore, sharpen the tip a bit, now and then to remove the outer part of the liner. It will remove the dried liner along with any kind of contamination.
- You may also warm up the eyeliner pencil tip by dipping it in warm water. This will disinfect the eyeliner and make it softer to apply.
- Never pull your eyelids to apply the liner. The skin around our eyes is very soft and tugging or pulling can cause the skin to sag.
- Always, I repeat, always remove your eyeliner (and eye makeup) before going to bed. If you leave the eyeliner as it is, it may clog the tear duct by mixing with your sleep dust.
In the worst cases, the eyeliner may go inside your eyes and that can be uber harmful. You can remove your eyeliner with any oil based makeup remover.
These are the precautions that you should always be mindful about. Apart from these, you should always try to keep any type of eyeliner or any eye product, strictly for personal use. Don’t share these with others! If you really need to ever, make sure that the person scoops out the product instead of dipping the brush in the gel eyeliner over and over again.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/31j4K7o
What are the five best gel eyeliners?
As we’ve promised, we have brought to you the five best gel eyeliners that you should try at least once!
There are many other gel eyeliners that are extremely good. But you know, when you have to choose the top five, you have to let go of many others. The list of eyeliners doesn’t follow any particular order.
1. Marc Jacobs Th(Ink) Highliner Gel Eye Crayon
According to the company, the Marc Jacobs Th(Ink) Highliner Gel Eye Crayon is a gel eyeliner in the form of a crayon. Therefore, it is easier to apply and glides like butter on your eyelids. It is one of the best eyeliner pencils available in the market.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/31iysJY
Marc Jacobs eyeliner is waterproof and infused with the goodness of rosehip seed oil and vitamin E. There are many shades that you can choose from. The eyeliner is pigmented and lasts really long. You can blend in the color before it sets in place to achieve the perfect smokey eyes look.
You may take a look at the video below to see how you can play around with the different colors of gel eyeliners offered by Marc Jacobs:
Now that we know how the product makes the process of your eye makeup like a cakewalk , let’s check out the pros and cons of this eyeliner.
- Creamy and smooth texture
- Extremely pigmented
- Sharpening the crayon results in no wastage because the crayon is retractable. The tip can be sharpened with an attached sharpener
- The eyeliners are infused with vitamin E and rosehip seed oil
- Gives a satin or velvety finish.
- The glitter eyeliners are great to ramp up any eye makeup
- Free from harmful chemicals such as phthalates, Paraben, and sulfates
- It’s smudge proof and waterproof
- The lighter shades could have been more pigmented. However, they are buildable
- It might not be an ideal choice for vegan beauties
If you are looking for a gel eyeliner that can give you a sharp look along with an ease of using, Marc Jacobs Th(Ink) Highliner Gel Eye Crayon is your ideal choice.
2. Tarte Clay Pot Waterproof Shadow Liner
Clay Pot Waterproof Shadow Liner from Tarte Cosmetics comes in a simple glass pot that is secured using a golden screw cap. The name of the brand is written over the top with the Trademark symbol beside it.
As per the claim of the company, the Tarte eyeliner doesn’t budge once it sets. Besides that you can also use this eyeliner as a creamy eyeshadow.
Since the eyeliner has a creamy texture, it takes some time to settle down. But once it does, it’s truly smudge proof and waterproof! The eyeliner can be applied along the lash line and the waterline as this is tested and approved by ophthalmologists.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2IT7lyH
You can create a smokey eye very easily by smudging the eyeliner before it sets. It has a powdery matte finish, which is ideal for individuals with oily skin. The Clay Pot Shadow Liner is longwearing and stays for over 8-hours, both as an eyeshadow and an eyeliner.
Here’s a video that shows you how easily it glides on your skin and how easy it is, to create a winged line with the help of this gel eyeliner:
Let’s check out the pros and cons of the product.
- Use it as an eyeshadow and an eyeliner
- Waterproof and smudge proof
- Long lasting
- A matte powdery finish which is suitable for oily eyelids
- Create a great smokey eye because of the creamy texture
- Tested and approved by ophthalmologists and dermatologists
- Can be used to tightline too!
- Those of you who have contact lenses can use this without a doubt!
- Infused with vitamin E
- Oil free and made from Amazonian clay
- Mineral pigments don’t irritate your eyes
- Tarte is a cruelty-free brand
Doesn’t come with an eyeliner brush
It has a tendency to dry out in the pot
Tarte eyeliner is one of the best gel eyeliners that deliver what is promised. It is long-lasting and has great pigmentation, thus, making sure that your eye makeup looks complete with this. You can choose from the numerous shades that are available to create the dramatic look with a pop of color in it.
3. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner has won many awards. It is the first gel eyeliner that provides the precision of a liquid eyeliner in gel form. The eyeliner is not only waterproof but is also sweat proof. It is also humidity resistant. So, if you reside in a tropical country where the atmosphere is humid, the eyeliner won’t budge from its place. Forget having raccoon eyes for once and forever.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2BdRjLv
The pigmentation of the eyeliner is insane! No matter which color you choose, the pigmentation is simply awesome. Apart from the shimmery eyeliners, the rest have a soft velvety finish that is neither too matte nor too glossy.
The liner gives you enough time to smudge it and create a soft smokey effect before setting. So, if you want to create the wearable smokey eye, smudge the liner ever so slightly right after applying it.
On the other hand, if you want to define your eyes, line along your lash line and leave it so that the liner settles down.
The video below can help you in understanding the process:
Now come the pros and cons of the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner:
- Smudge proof, waterproof, sweat proof and humidity resistant
- Long lasting (it passed our 12-hours+ wear test)
- The creamy gel glides on eyelids without pulling your skin
- It’s really simple to create a smokey eye look with this eyeliner
- Unlike most other gel eyeliner in pot, Bobbi Brown eyeliner doesn’t dry out so fast in the pot
- Extremely pigmented
- Available in an assortment of shades to choose from
- It can be removed easily with an oil based makeup remover
- You may go through the list of ingredients in the packaging
- Doesn’t come with an applicator
You can use any eyeliner brush (either an angular eyeliner brush or a thin bristled one) and dip it in the gel eyeliner to coat the brush properly. It is suggested that you remove the excess eyeliner to get an even finish. Work along the lash line and thicken as per your liking.
4. Anastasia Beverly Hills Waterproof Crème Color
The company claims that Anastasia Beverly Hills Waterproof Crème Color is an extremely pigmented gel eyeliner, as advocated by the company itself. It offers full control and high coverage that defines your eyes perfectly. The gel liner is waterproof and creamy enough to create a smokey eye look.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/32hVfH7
The gel eyeliner from Anastasia Beverly Hills settles down to give you a matte-finish eyeliner that compliments any kind of eye makeup. Once it settles down, there’s no budging at all!You can also use the gel eyeliner as an eyeshadow base.
The video below shows you how easy it is to create a winged eyeliner with the help of Anastasia Beverly Hills gel eyeliner.
So, what are the pros and cons?
- Blackest black in color
- It is waterproof and smudge proof
- Glides smoothly on your eyelids
- It is safe to be used in your lash line and waterline
- Anastasia Beverly Hills gel eyeliner is long wearing
- It is expensive
- Might feel a bit heavy on your eyelid
- It may take substantial time to remove the product completely from eyes
5. Inglot AMC Eyeliner Gel
Do you like to play with your eye makeup? Do you look for colorful eyeliners to pop up your makeup? Do you want an eyeliner that provides you intense pigmentation and is long lasting? Well, Inglot AMC Eyeliner Gel can offer you exactly what you are looking for!
You can choose from over 30 colors of the gel eyeliner from Inglot. Can you believe that?
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2oIlHuV
The company claims that the product is hypoallergenic and waterproof. Hence, it is safe to be used on your eye’s waterline and tight-line.
The eyeliner is creamy enough to spread it consistently across the lash line. It is crease-proof and smudge proof. So, it lasts all day without fading even a bit.
Check out the intense color pay off of the gel eyeliner from Inglot in the video below.
Here are the pros and cons of the eyeliner.
- Long-lasting, smudge proof and crease-proof formula
- Intense pigmentation
- The setting time is quite fast
- Decently priced
- Safe to be used on waterline and lash line
- It doesn’t come with an applicator
- It may not be suitable to create a smokey eye
Our final thought
We are supposed to choose one from the five eyeliners, right? But in this case, there’s a tie. So, instead of one, we will give you two winners.
Marc Jacobs Th(Ink) Highliner Gel Eye Crayon is the first eyeliner that I would recommend. The gel eyeliner comes in pencil form, which makes easy application, even for beginners. It’s decently pigmented and has a creamy finish which makes it the best eyeliner pencil. So, you can define the eyes or create a smokey eye makeup using this single product only. As the Marc Jacobs eyeliner comes in a pencil form, you don’t even need to invest in an applicator.
On the other hand, Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner is clearly the second winner from the list. Yes, it is expensive. But the color pay off that you get is worth every penny! Besides, it gives a soft velvety finish without compromising with the pigmentation and it is unique.
The gel eyeliner from Bobbi Brown takes time to set. So, you can create a smokey eye or use the eyeliner as the base for your eyeshadow. Once it sets, you don’t have to worry about the eyeliner smudging or creasing. Even though it is so pigmented and lasts so long, removal of the eyeliner is not at all a hassle. The best part about the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner is that it doesn’t dry as fast as the other gel eyeliners.
Have you used any of these eyeliners before? What is your feeling about the liners? Do you still go back to the ones that you’ve used? Would you like to purchase a new one from the list above? If yes, which one? Share your thoughts with us.