Can you imagine getting ready without putting on your favorite lip color? Even if you want to go light on some days, you may just settle for the long lasting nude lipstick that gives “my lips but better” look. And if you’re doing a full face makeup look, there’s no way you can skip over the lipstick.
Now, there are zillions of brands, from the cheapest ones to the luxurious ones that you can try your hands on. However, whether you are just starting with purchasing lipsticks or you’re a pro at it, you need to try out drugstore lipsticks.
There are some drugstore brands that offer extremely good quality long lasting lipsticks that should be in your vanity in 2020 –
- Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick
- Wet and Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit Matte Lipstick
- NYX Professional Makeup Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick
- L’oreal Paris Infallible 8 HR Pro Gloss
- Revlon Just Bitten Kissing Balm Stain
What is the concept of drugstore makeup?
I know, I know! I don’t need to answer this question. You may have a pretty good idea about the brands that are available in local drugstores or convenience stores. Hence, you might have an idea about Maybelline, NYX, L’Oreal, Rimmel London and related brands that you can get in drugstores.
How to choose your drugstore lipstick?
There are two ways that will allow you to choose drugstore lipsticks of your choice.
The first way is to go through reviews. Check out blogs, YouTube videos, IG TV reviews etc. to know what others are using, to see other customers testimonials. It will give you a decent idea about how the lipstick fares. You will get an idea about the color, shade and the pigmentation.
Reviews can provide you with a 90% idea about the product in question. The rest 10% is your own experience.
The video below shows you swatches of different shades of a collection from L’Oreal.
The second way is to visit your nearest drugstore and pick up a bunch of lipsticks. But the problem that rests with this process is that most drugstore brands don’t allow you to swatch a lip shade. As a result, you end up buying shades that may not suit your skin tone. Hence, watching reviews comes about as the best option for you.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/31r2Zp5
How will you benefit from drugstore lipsticks?
If you are not a fan of a particular brand and aren’t looking to largely splurge on lipsticks, it’s better to go for drugstore lipsticks. There are numerous benefits to this –
- Most drugstore brands offer different types of lipsticks.
- The shade range is generally assorted.
- If you’re worried about the lipstick pigmentation, let us tell you that there are brands that are nailing the pigmentation. In some cases, it becomes rather difficult to tell whether it’s a drugstore brand or a luxury one.
- Drugstore lipsticks are quite pocket friendly. From teenagers to broke girls to Victoria’s Secret models (Gigi Hadid, you see!), you can grab more than a couple of lipsticks of your taste, given the cheaper rates.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/31r2Zp5
What should you be looking for in a drugstore lipstick?
Now, this is a tricky question here because the fact is, each one of us has different expectations from different types of lipsticks. While some of us look for long lasting lipsticks, some of us care more about the consistency, some if the product is cruelty free or not and some may end up buying simply because the color is nice.
Even so, the most common way to select the best drugstore lipstick is to look for the texture. Matte lipsticks are the talk of the town but our personal favorite is velvety matte or creamy matte. These types of lipsticks are long lasting and make your lips look luscious without drying them. Hurrah!!
At the end of the day, you are free to choose what you want to!
Liquid lipsticks are trending now and for good reason. Many drugstore brands are producing liquid lipsticks that are comfortable and long lasting.
What should you be aware of before buying a drugstore lipstick?
Like any other product, drugstore makeup also comes with its own precautionary principles. Before you get your hands on drugstore lipsticks, you need to keep in mind a couple of things –
- Most drugstore brands are not cruelty-free or vegan. So, you need to do your research in case these are what you are looking for.
- Some drugstore lipsticks may not be as pigmented as you want them to be. However, you can check out a few reviews to get an idea about the product.
- While some drugstore brands allow you to swatch the products from their testers, most brands don’t have a tester. So, if you’re not sure about a particular shade, choosing a lipstick might be a bit difficult for you.
What are the cons of drugstore lipsticks?
There’s no denying that luxury brands are expensive because of what they offer. While there’s not much of a difference in the ingredient list between drugstore lipsticks and luxury lipsticks, there are other prominent differences for sure. So, what are the cons of drugstore lipsticks?
Here’s what –
- All drugstore lipsticks may not provide as much pigmentation as luxury brands.
- While one swipe of a MAC Cosmetics lipstick can give you the opaque finish, you may need to swipe a drugstore one for a couple of times to get the same pigmentation. However, liquid lipstick has changed the game now.
- All drugstore lipsticks may not be moisturizing enough because less amount of emollient is used in it.
Which drugstore lipsticks do you need to buy?
Now that we have the general information out of the way, we can move forward. As promised, we’ve searched high and low, tried and tested different lipsticks and jotted down the best lipsticks available in drugstores. Read and take a thorough look at all the pros and cons and judge what’s best for you.
1. Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick
Are you looking for a budget lipstick that will last you through a busy day at the office to a dinner date night? That seems too good to be true, right? Well, Maybelline has made impossible possible.
The new Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick stays all day long. And by all day, we actually mean 12+ hours! The company claims that the liquid lipstick can last for 16 hours.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2VUrv0l
We really liked the arrow applicator. Though the shape is similar to the teardrop applicator, it is pointier. The applicator is great to draw the perfect cupid’s bow. So, you don’t even need a lip liner separately.
Unlike many other drugstore brands, Maybelline gives you top notch pigmentation. One swipe of the lipstick and you get an opaque finish. The best part is that it doesn’t feel heavy on the lips at all.
You can choose from over 30 different shades that cover from reds to pinks to nudes.
Let’s check out the pros and cons quickly.
- Liquid lipstick that offers the perfect matte finish.
- It’s extremely long wearing
- Opaque color pay off
- Feels light on your lips
- Waterproof and budge-proof
- Budget friendly
- The lipstick might feel sticky once it dries on your lips. But that can be avoided if you apply a layer of lip balm underneath the lipstick
- Since this is an extremely long lasting lipstick, it might be difficult to remove the lipstick.
- You may need to use an oil-based makeup remover to remove the lipstick completely.
2. Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit Matte Lipstick
Since its entry in the market, Wet n Wild has been a cruelty-free brand. There are existing controversies regarding the brand’s image of being cruelty-free. However, cruelty-free or not, you have to admit that this is one of the best drugstore brands for lipsticks.
People have complained against liquid lipsticks saying that these tend to dry your lips. In some cases, liquid lipsticks may even feel heavy on your lips. But that is not the case with Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit Matte Lipstick.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/32s15FU
This is an extremely lightweight lipstick that glides smoothly on your lips. When you apply the color, it leaves a glossy finish. However, it dries out and gives a sophisticated matte look without drying out your lips. The color pay off of the liquid lipsticks is as good as any luxury brand.
You get to choose from over 10 different lip shades from nudes to purple. Each of the shades is pigmented enough to give you a burst of color.
So, what are the pros and cons of this product?
- Extremely affordable
- Offers a decent range of shades to choose from
- The colors are strong enough to cover even pigmented lips
- Gives you a pop of color
- The doe-foot applicator makes it easy to apply the product
- Doesn’t dry out lips or make lips feel heavy
- Isn’t patchy at all
- Is not very long lasting
- May transfer and fade a bit over the wear time
3. NYX Professional Makeup Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick
If you are a makeup junkie, you may have already tried at least one makeup item from NYX. NYX is one of the most famous and loved drugstore brands. And as a drugstore lipstick brand it has never left its users dissatisfied! When NYX launched its NYX Professional Makeup Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick, it was a huge success.
This is yet another liquid lipstick (liquid lipsticks are everywhere you see!!) that has won many hearts. You get a decent amount of product at an affordable price. There are 10 different shades you can choose from.
The company claims that the lipstick is infused with vitamin E and Avocado Oil. Even though there are oils, the lipstick is waterproof and smudge-resistant. NYX Professional Makeup Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick offers opaque finish that covers pigmented lips. One single swipe of the lipstick will give you a uniformed finish.
It is a long-lasting lippy that settles down to give you a velvety finish instead of drying matte. It literally doesn’t make your lips look or feel dry. Here are a few NYX matte lipstick swatches that you can check out.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2BlKxn1
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2Bpih2Z
Let’s check out the pros and cons quickly.
- Good number of shades to choose from
- Quite economical
- Waterproof and smudge-resistant
- Long lasting for around 5 to 6 hours
- Doesn’t dry out lips
- Has a velvety finish
- Decently pigmented
- No need to use lip liner as the lipstick doesn’t bleed
- The smell may be a put-off for some people
- May not last long if you’re consuming oily food
4. L’Oreal Paris Infallible 8 HR Pro Gloss
Some of us don’t like the extreme matte finish of liquid lipsticks. We want to have succulent lips that are well hydrated, right? And that is the perfect reason to get your hands on lip gloss. L’Oréal Paris Infallible 8 HR Pro Gloss is the best drugstore lip gloss.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2VTG4BF
Not only is it one of the cheapest lip glosses available in the market but it is also an extremely long lasting lipstick. The company claims that the lip color lasts up to eight hours. We have tried and tested the product. And you can be rest assured that this product lasts long, really long!
L’Oreal Paris offers 20 different shades of the lip gloss. The gloss doesn’t provide intense pigmentation, but it is for those who don’t want to cover their lips in dark pigment.
Without wasting time, let us go through the pros and cons of the product.
- 20 luminous and sheer shades to choose from
- Lives up to its claim of lasting till 8 hours
- Can be worn as it is or can enhance an existing lipstick
- Teardrop applicator makes it easy to apply the lip gloss
- The lip gloss has a smooth finish that doesn’t feel tacky on lips
- If you have a sensitive nose, you may not like the smell of it
- You may need to retouch the product after having a heavy meal
5. Revlon Just Bitten Kissing Balm Stain
There are times or days when you don’t feel like wearing lipstick, right?. No matter how beautiful the shade is or how much you like the lip color, at times we don’t feel like loading the lips with lipstick. Thus, this is the perfect reason for you to try out lip stains.
Lip stains give you a soft flush of colors without being too loud. Which is why, your lips look fuller and colorful without shouting for too much attention. Besides, there are some lip stains such as Revlon Just Bitten Kissing Balm Stain that doubles up as a lip balm! It moisturizes and hydrates your lips and provides a hint of color.
The company claims that it is a kiss proof lipstick which makes you feel real comfortable without making your lips dry. Because of its moisturizing properties, it glides smoothly. The formula is gel based and hence, when applied it looks like a light lip gloss. But it settles into a soft matte finish once it dries up.
It can be worn underneath a lipstick so that if the lipstick fades, your lips don’t become bare. A slight flush of color is left behind! This is also ideal for brides who choose a morning wedding. Don’t you want a long-lasting color that sits comfortably on your lips for hours and doesn’t even budge when you talk?
Revlon Just Bitten Kissing Balm Stain is exactly what you need, for that special occasion and plenty of others. Revlon has done justice when it comes to offering the best drugstore lip stain.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/35L3xt5
You can choose from 10 varied shades, from light to medium to dark. As the lip stain offers sheer coverage, it may not cover pigmented lips. Due to which, the color may show differently on different people. However, layering it may give more coverage.
Here are the pros and cons of Revlon Just Bitten Kissing Balm Stain –
- Affordable drugstore lip stain
- Doesn’t transfer
- One of the best drugstore lip stains
- It’s can be layered to get a somewhat opaque finish
- It’s long-lasting
- Infused with plant based butters to give you the softest and most moisturized lips
- It can be worn as it is or can be paired up with other lip colors
- It’s retractable. So, you don’t need to worry about sharpening it
- It’s easy to carry and apply while you’re on the go
- The lip stain settles down to a fade tint of color. So, it might not be ideal for pigmented lips beauties
- The fragrance may not be something that everyone enjoys.
There are many other lipstick brands that offer long lasting touch, comfortable and different shades of lip color. The only reason those lipsticks are not in the list is because these five are the best of the lot.
While Maybelline stays put for over 12 hours, Revlon lip stain offers perfect uniformly stained lips. Each of the drugstore lipstick brands mentioned here are affordable. You can check out the shades online before you get your hands on them. Some of these lipstick brands offer beautiful finish that look exactly like any luxury brand lip color.
However, while reviewing these five lipsticks, we have found that some of these are better than the rest.
If we have to pick a winner among these five, Maybelline will be our definitive pick. The long lasting feature, the applicator and the pigmentation of the lipsticks makes Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick one of the best drugstore liquid lipsticks. The company offers you an assortment of lipstick colors. You can apply a thin coat of the lip color and get a stain as well. Besides, it is one of the longest lasting lipsticks that you will ever come across.
The only negative point about this lipstick is that the brand, Maybelline, is neither cruelty-free nor vegan. Therefore, it is not for those who are into cruelty-free brands or purchase vegan beauty products only.
Finally, which of these lipsticks do you want to try out? Have you tried any of these before? What did you like the most about the lipstick that you tried from these drugstore brands?