Do you love makeup? What is the best part of applying makeup? For me, it is when I create my eye makeup. There’s not much that I can experiment with in base makeup. But when it comes to eyes, there are millions of looks that you can try out. That’s why while doing my eye makeup, I feel the creative self in me.
However, when it comes to applying makeup, you can’t really achieve a professional finish without the use of professional makeup brushes. I have a few personal favorites in makeup brushes. As you can tell from the title, today I’ll be discussing the Real Techniques brush set.
What do you need to consider before buying Real Techniques brushes?
First, let us understand why we need to invest in makeup brushes. You may think that you have been doing a good job in applying the foundation on your skin with your fingers. I won’t say that it doesn’t work. But you can’t apply every type of foundation with your fingers. Besides, it leaves a streaky finish at times. And that is why you need a foundation brush.
The same theory applies for applying blush or powder or eyeshadow and other makeup products. Hence, brands come up with brushes that are designed to do different jobs. Primary reason behind buying makeup brushes is that these tools help you to blend your makeup seamlessly.
Now, when it comes to choosing Real Techniques brush set, there are certain things that you can look for. First, I would suggest you avoid buying from any unknown website. Buying from a reputed e-commerce website will ensure that you purchase original item.
Another thing that you should consider is to choose the brushes wisely. Real Techniques have nearly 10 different types of foundation brushes.
Obviously you don’t need those unless you’re a makeup artist. So, do your research on the type of brushes that the company has. You will find enough information on the web on the use of each of the foundation brushes. Once you have the information, you can decide which Real Techniques foundation brush you need.
What is Real Techniques?
Real Techniques is the brain child of the well-known London based makeup artists Samantha and Nicola Chapman mostly known as Sam and Nic. The duo has established themselves as YouTube makeup gurus followed by their successful career as makeup artists. The duo has established the brand Real Techniques to cater to the need of affordable makeup tools.
You can find different types of brushes starting from foundation brush to blush brush to eyebrow defining brush to lip brush and a lot more. You will even find Real Techniques sponge that gives a stiff competition to the cult favourite Beauty Blender within fraction of the price.
Even though there are several types of brushes, let’s check out the pros and cons of the brushes and makeup sponges in general.
- Good build quality
- Blend makeup products evenly
- Some of the brushes are usable or multiple purposes (the Detailer Brush can be used for spot concealing as well as applying cream lipstick)
- Synthetic bristles are extremely soft
- Can be used for liquid, cream and powder products
- Easy to clean and dry
- 100% cruelty free
- Some brushes are available only as a part of a set
- Availability outside of USA and UK can be an issue
- Some of the brushes may shed bristles while cleaning
What are the features of the Real Techniques Brushes?
Well, since the review is not about any one particular brush, there is no way to pin point a few features. However, fret not. I got you covered here. I will be mentioning the features of each of the brushes here so that you can take your pick.
Real Techniques Foundation Brush:
So, let’s start with Real Techniques foundation brush. I have used the brush to blend BB Cream and foundation both. It has fared in both the cases. Since the brush is not very densely packed, it gives a low to medium coverage. However, the coverage also depends on the consistency of the product. When blending contour product, it diffuses the contour cream very nicely giving a sculpted look.
I have also noticed that the foundation brush by Real Techniques goes into the crevices of my face helping to blend the product seamlessly.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/3567lUJ
I will be listing the features so that it’s easier for you to skim through the information you need.
- The foundation brush from the brand comes in a sleek packaging.
- It has an angular cut that makes it ideal to sculpt your face properly.
- The bristles are made out of synthetic taklon, which is super soft on your and gives an ultra-plush feel
- The brush does not waste product
- It helps in distributing the products evenly without making your face look cakey
- Even though it is Real Techniques foundation brush, it can be used for blending your contour as well
- The base of the brush is flat, which is helpful in making the brush self-standing
- Even though the body is made out of aluminium, the brush is extremely light weight
Real Techniques Powder Brush:
Now, let’s focus on Real Techniques powder brush. Ideally, you shouldn’t apply powder with the fluffy (or rubbery) puff that comes within the pack. You should use a fluffy brush that disperses the powder evenly on your face without making your face look cakey. The powder brush should give you a flawless airbrushed finish.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2XgkU17
The powder brush from Real Techniques gives you the exact finish that you are looking for. The soft fluffy taklon bristles glide on your face like a dream.
The features of the brush are as follows:
- Dome like shape with soft bristles
- Unique tapered base
- Can be used with loose powder, mineral foundation and even pressed powder
- Can be used to bronze up your face ever so slightly
Real Techniques Setting Brush:
If you are a makeup junkie like me, you will love the Real Techniques setting brush. As you can guess from the name, the brush is used for setting your makeup in place. So, once you are done applying foundation and concealer, it is time to lock the base on place with the help of some setting powder. And this brush makes it easy for you to set the base perfectly.
Many people complain that the brush is small in size. Yes, it is small. And that’s what makes it perfect for setting makeup. Unlike the powder brush, you can actually set your makeup with more precision.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2NM7BSS
- Small brush reaches every crevices of your face
- This brush is ideal for people who have smaller features
- The setting brush by Real Techniques can also be used to apply highlighter on your face
- The synthetic bristles of the brush works well with both powder and cream products
- The dome shape makes it perfect to set your under eye as well as your eye lid area
Real Techniques Brush Set:
Some of you, especially beginners, may not want to invest in single brushes. In that case, Real Techniques comes up with their brush set. Even though Real Techniques has a variety of brush set, here we are primarily focusing on our base makeup. Hence, we will be discussing the Real Techniques Core Collection Makeup Brush set.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2OrYnur
The Real Technique brush set has four brushes. Along with a pointed foundation and a contour brush, you will also get a buffing brush and a detailer brush. This one set of brush can help you in creating your base makeup perfectly. It is one of the most travel-friendly brush sets from RT.
- The pointed foundation brush is good for liquid foundation
- You can also double up the foundation brush as contour brush
- The buffing brush not only helps you to apply powder and cream foundation but you can also use this to buff the liquid foundation into your skin for a more subtle coverage
- The buffing brush can be used to apply powder as well
- As you can understand from the name, the contour brush is used to sculpt your face.
- The same brush can be used to apply highlighter and even blush.
I personally like the detailer brush the best in this brush set. There are multiple ways to use this brush.
- Apply concealer as precisely as you want with the help of this brush. Dab to blend the concealer
- Use the same brush to apply concealer on the side of your nostrils, small imperfections and dab to push the product into your skin
- You can also use the brush to apply highlighter on the bridge of your nose and the inner corner of your eyes.
If you are on a budget or if you don’t want to carry a lot of brushes while you are travelling, the Real Techniques brush set is the best choice for you.
Real Techniques Sponge:
How can we end the discussion without mentioning the iconic Real Techniques sponge, right? The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is created using the foam technology. The company claims that the new technology helps in making the makeup application even and smooth distribution of makeup.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2CJVm2T
You should damp the sponge if you are using liquid or cream foundation. You may not like it if you love heavy base makeup. But for people like me who are more into sheer coverage makeup, the sponge is bliss. Besides, it is the closest dupe to the most raved about makeup sponge, Beauty Blender.
It has changed my makeup application game forever. Now, I can actually wear makeup every day without looking like I have tons of makeup on my face.
- The Miracle Complexion Sponge has a very unique shape. It has rounded sides with a precise tip on the one side. And the other side of the sponge has a flat edge
- The precision tip allows you to apply and blend concealer even in the hard to reach areas of your face
- The rounded sides are ideal to blend any type of foundation and blush with ease. Since the rounded part of the sponge is pretty big, it covers a large section of your face and helps in blending the foundation seamlessly
- The flat side of the sponge can be used to apply and blend contour products
- You can also apply powder for baking with the help of the flat side
What are others saying about Real Techniques?
Many of you believe in social proof when it comes to buying products. You go through reviews on different e-commerce sites. You follow YouTube videos or read blogs just to understand whether the products are worth the raving or not. So, why would you believe what I have to say, right? Let’s check out what others are saying about the Real Techniques brushes and sponge.
Doesn’t it give satisfaction to see that so many people are saying positive things about the product that you want to purchase? I feel you, darling!
Are there any alternatives to Real Technique brushes?
Of course, there are. There are different brands that offer you good quality brushes. However, you must remember that Real Techniques offers affordable brushes. And you may not find all the alternatives to be as affordable as the Real Techniques bushes. So, let’s see which brands are the alternatives of Real Techniques.
If you want to invest in a good brush set that will help you in creating a complete makeup look, Morphe Brush Set Collection is good for you.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2Kq7VEN
The brush set also comes with a travel-friendly bag so that you can carry it around
- These brushes are light-weight and are made out of high-quality materials
- Many of these brushes are used by professional makeup artists for the quality of the products
Wet n Wild brushes:
Wet n Wild is a drugstore brand that has taken the makeup world by surprise. The brand has come up with high-end makeup products to superior quality makeup brushes.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2QmbyzB
- The 17-piece makeup brush set by Wet n Wild is a steal for makeup lovers because of its price
- Wet n Wild is a cruelty-free brand, which makes it the ideal alternative of Real Techniques
- Apart from the brush-set, Wet n Wild also has a collection of single brushes that anyone can afford
One of my favorite makeup brushes brand is EcoTools. I love the brand not only because of its affordable products but also because the brand really cares for our environment.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2CNE8lb
- The makeup brushes from EcoTools are made from 80% bamboo fibers and 20% cotton
- From blending sponge to different types of makeup brushes, EcoTools have a wide range of products to choose from
- The brushes are extremely affordable and are easily available online
Whether you are a starter in makeup or you have established yourself as a professional makeup artist, you can’t deny that makeup brushes are necessary to get a flawless finish. If you have been struggling to get the coverage that you want, you may need a good foundation brush that help apply the foundation properly.
If you want a cut-crease or a smokey eye look, makeup brushes are not something that you can skimp on. And when it comes to creating from the perfect base to the perfect eye makeup, Real Techniques brush set and single brushes are winners for sure. If you are looking for good yet affordable makeup brushes, you better check out the Real Techniques brushes.